Saturday 13 May 2017

London St Pancras…

A brief trip south by train last week saw me travelling lighter than usual, restricting myself to one camera and just the two lenses…

Packing a single, small bag at the last minute didn't leave much room for photographic equipment but I managed to squeeze in my Fujifilm X-T10 body + XF 35mm f2 R WR lens combination and (for a bit of variety) the 14mm f2.8 R lens.

I didn't get much chance to take photographs until I was passing through London St Pancras station on the return journey but did come up with a couple of images whilst changing trains…

The Lovers, London St Pancras

Paul Day's 2007 sculpture 'The Meeting Place' (also known as 'The Lovers') stands at the south end of the station and I never get tired of looking at it but invariably end up photographing it from the 'wrong' side which at least lets me also capture some of the fantastic 245ft wide train shed, designed by William Henry Barlow and constructed by the Butterley Company in 1868. The ultra-wide 14mm (135 equivalent: 21mm) lens allowed me to capture the full 9m height of the statue.

Sir John Betjeman statue, London St Pancras

I switched to my current fave lens, the tiny, weatherproof 35mm f2 (135 equivalent: 53mm) for a quick shot of Martin Jennings' wonderful bronze statue of the former Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman which commemorates the poet's successful campaign to save the station from demolition in the 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment